During the ZOOM meeting, the following research questions will be discussed. The questions are a guide and follow-up questions will be asked to gain clarity.
Thank you for agreeing to participate in the study. This study is part of my doctoral education program at Capella University. I want to highlight the structure of the interview. I will start with a review of consent and answer any questions you might have. Then, we will engage in an interview addressing six global questions with a number of sub-questions. I may ask clarifying questions along the way.
Confirmation of Consent Question: Before we get started with the questions, I want to check-in to see what questions you have about the consent form, the overall process, or the purpose of the research.
Confirmation of Consent Question: Before we start, I want to confirm that you know the session will be audio-recorded Do you consent to be audio-recorded? (If no, stop interview)
1. We are going to talk about your experience in supervision in a moment, but first, please describe (in a general way) the client who identified with an alternative sexuality and the therapeutic relationship.
2. Now, I am going to ask you for some information about your supervisor.
a. Is this your primary supervisor this year?
b. How long have you and your supervisor worked together?
c. Tell me about your relationship with your supervisor.
d. What were your expectations from your supervisor, regarding your work with this client?
3. Now, I am going to ask you for some information about the supervision of your work with this client.
a. What did the supervision of your work with this client look like?
b. What did the supervisor do and say?
c. What did you do and say?
d. What were your supervisor’s values and beliefs related to this client?
e. What did the supervisor do that you perceived as helpful?
f. What did the supervisor do that you perceived as unhelpful?
g. How did you use what you received from supervision in your work with this client?
h. How did your supervision for this client have an influence on your work with other clients in general?
i. And with other clients who identified with an alternative sexuality (if any)?
j. And are there things you didn’t tell your supervisor about this client? (if any)?
k. Did you receive supervision from more than one supervisor? If yes, who else did you go to for supervision about this client? (If yes, probe to see if these above questions need to be asked about the second supervisor)
4. Now I am going to ask you some final questions about your experience with Alternative Sexuality clients generally.
a. Describe how you provide counseling services with Alternative Sexuality clients versus non-Alternative Sexuality clients?
5. The following questions are provided to understand your development in the supervisor-supervisee experience.
a) Describe how the education and experience you received in supervision influenced your perception of your skill and ability to work with this client?
b) Describe any practice or modeling behaviors that occurred in supervision regarding working with this client.
c) What feedback did your supervisor provide regarding your work with this client?
d) How did your supervisor address your emotional state (i.e., countertransference) with this client?
6. Before I move to demographic questions, I’m wondering to ask an open-ended question. What more might you want to share about anything you’ve shared along the way? What might you want to clarify?
7. Finally, I am going to ask you for some brief demographic information.
a. How you would identify your Gender?
b. How would you identify your Race/ethnicity?
c. What is your age?
d. How would you identify yourself regarding sexual orientation?
e. Would you identify as a member of the alternative sexuality community? If yes, in what way?
e. What type of degree /licensure are you seeking?
f. How many years of clinical experience do you have?
g. Have you had any training to work with Alternative Sexuality identified issues in therapy?
i. [If yes:] What training?
Edwards Capella IRB number 2022-877
Copyright © 2023 A Qualitative Study examining counselors-in-training experience i - All Rights Reserved.